Monday, July 11, 2011

Salad Days





As the days heat up here in New England, I look for easy no-cook recipes.  I have been reading Taste of the South magazine lately and the recipes I have done have all been keepers. I changed this salad I saw in the June issue just a little using a little less slaw and a little more carrot. It makes a sweeter salad and very crunchy. It went together very quickly, 15 minutes tops. I loved the taste of the toasted pecans with the dates.The lime made it a refreshing salad balancing the sweetness of the carrots and dates. We ate it with a barbecue pork dish for the fourth of July holiday but I think it would be wonderful with a meaty grilled fish like halibut.
This salad kept for days on end. I even threw some canned tuna on top of a portion for a delicious lunch. If you are not able to buy angel hair coleslaw mix, then slice your cabbage as thinly as possible.




Carrot Pecan Slaw

10 ounces angel hair coleslaw
10 ounces shredded carrots
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lime zest
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
                         about 10 servings




Buy chopped dates!

1.In a large bowl, combine the slaw mix, carrots, dates, pecans and basil.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lime zest, lime juice, and salt.
3. Pour over the cabbage, tossing gently to combine.
4. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving . Garnish with fresh basil.




The Fourth of July Parade!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to hear from you!