Saturday, February 12, 2011

Brownies!



I needed brownies for a project this weekend and I also had a fudgy chocolate craving.
Having been disappointed by my current recipes, I decided to experiment.
I looked through several pastry books that I have and could not find a basic recipe...can you believe it!
So, reluctantly I pulled out King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. I have not had a lot of success with the recipes from this book. I really am not sure why I keep it around. But I am glad I did because these brownies were good. No, they were great. I gave a day old brownie to a friend who stopped by (one of those honest ones who will tell it just like it is) and she said they were the best brownies she has ever tasted. I had to agree.
I baked the brownies in little silicone pot molds and  Brownie Pop Molds for my project and there was enough for an 8-inch square. The recipe calls for a 9x13x2 pan but the recipe was very adaptable to my molds.
Beating the eggs for the required time, I think, was the defining step that made these Brownies light and fudgy. I often feel so stuffed after I eat brownies but I had to walk away from the kitchen so I would not go after another brownie. I can also see adding a little flavor here and there to enhance the brownies. For my project, I kept them pure..no nuts or fill-ins like chocolate chips. They were just plain good and cut beautifully.  I did tweak the recipe method a little bit from the original and found it more user friendly. There are some wordy variations to the recipe that K.A. is known for but I ignored them because I wanted it simple. 
 I wish you were here to try these brownies but I am posting the recipe for you. Make a batch and maybe cut them into heart shapes with a cookie cutter for your sweetie!

Brownies - Adapted from King Arthur Baker's Companion

6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup add-ins, optional

In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter, and chocolate together over low heat. Set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, vanilla, salt, sugar and corn syrup together until light and fluffy, about five minutes.
3. Stir in the chocolate butter mixture. Add the flour stirring to combine. Stir in the optional items.
4. Spread the batter into the pan. Bake the brownies for 35 minutes, a tooth pick inserted into the center should come out coated with clinging bits of chocolate. Remove the brownies from the oven and bring to room temperature before cutting into squares or shapes.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to hear from you!