Monday, September 20, 2010

Coconut Macaroons for a Sweet Boss

My hardworking boss made a plea for some coconut macaroons.
She has been working day and night, most of the time with a smile on her face. She is always available to help me with what I need so I was looking forward to making her something.
I admit that I love to make these cookies because they are so darn easy! The recipe is right on the back of the bag of Bakers coconut. After trying a few different recipes, I always come back to the one on the back of the bag...and not JUST because I am lazy.
I spent a little over an hour from start to finish and that includes cooling time which I spent nibbling errant coconut crumbs. I dipped some of them in chocolate and left some plain.
I find that there are a lot of good recipes lurking on the packaging of products. Butter packages have yummy recipes and don't get me started on the the Corn Flake recipes.
Well, here is the recipe and I hope you like them as much as Ms. C. did. If you lose the recipe, just remember to look on the back of the bag.

7 ounces coconut flakes (the whole bag)
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 Ounces Semisweet Chocolate Squares

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or non-stick liner.
2. Mix together first four ingredients in a bowl with a large fork, making sure coconut is not clumping together.
3. Add egg whites and extract. Mix together well.
4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared pan. I use a small ice cream scoop for uniformity.
5. Bake 20 minutes turning once during cooking. Remove from oven and using a spatula, transfer to a rack to cool completely.
6. Melt the six ounces chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water, stirring gently and frequently. Dip the bottom of the macaroons in melted chocolate. Set aside on wax paper until the chocolate becomes firm. Store in a cool place. Make about 18 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to hear from you!